Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Debate: Story 3

In the second competition of my debate career, I was sitting in and waiting for my opponent with my judge. She had done debate before and we were sort of chatting about the teams at each school. Then my opponent shows up, red and panting from running from wherever he was to the room we were to debate in. With him, he had ten (individual) folders and proceeded to move five desks around to place two folders on each desk. As he read his speech, he walked around the room, winding through aisles of desks, to the front and back (from my perspective), his voice louder and softer depending on where he went. He did the same for CX too! My judge and I made eye contact, as if to say, "What on earth is he doing?" I was really unconfident because he had this value called 'utilitarianism' and I had no idea what it was. I couldn't pronounce it and I still can't. I couldn't even tell what his contentions were so I couldn't attack! Thankfully, somehow, I won and I won with thirty speaker points (the max at that tournament)! It must've been because...you don't walk around the room to give your speech. Moral of the story? You never know what happens. Play confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment